Why in news?
The Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council ( TIFAC ), an autonomous technology think tank under the Department of Science & Technology ( DST ), Government of India, by virtue of its mandate of thinking for future, is preparing a white paper to strategise revival of post COVID-19 Indian economy.
The document would mainly focus on
• Strengthening Make in India initiatives.
• Commercialisation of indigenous technology.
• Developing a technology driven transparent Public Distribution System ( PDS ).
• Efficient rural health care delivery.
• Reduction of import.
• Adoption of emerging technology domains like AI, Machine Learning, Data Analytics and many more.
• It is an autonomous technology think tank under the Department of Science & Technology ( DST ), GOI.
• Thinking for the future in important socio-economic sectors is one of its mandates.
• It was established in 1986, as per the recommendation of Technology Policy Implementation Committee ( TPIC ) in 1985.
• TIFAC activities comprises of wide array of technology areas and fill a critical gap in the overall S&T system of India.
The entire world has come under one umbrella to fight against COVID-19. The pandemic outbreak is affecting the human life of both developed and developing economies, with the impact spread over almost all sectors ranging from manufacturing to trade, transport, tourism, education, healthcare and so on. Thus, an analysis of desirable technology related interventions and their impacts in different sectors is one important piece of information for decision making which will help us to overcome this pandemic.