INDIA CELEBRATES 60 YEARS OF LAUNCHING THE NIKE APACHE ROCKET
- Nike Apache rocket is also known as Argo B-13 rocket.
- It was the first rocket that took off from India on the evening of November 21, 1963.
- The French-made payload was used in the American-made Nike-Apache sounding rocket.
- It was launched from a small launch pad in Thumbanear Thiruvananthapuram.
- It raised to 208 km into the sky.
THUMBA EQUATORIAL ROCKET LAUNCHING STATION (TERLS):
- TERLS is an Indian spaceport established on 21 November 1963.
- It is operated by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- It is located in Thumba, Thiruvananthapuram and Kerala.
- It is near the southern tip of mainland India.
- It is very close to earth’s magnetic equator.
- It is currently used by ISRO for launching sounding rockets.
INDIA AND AUSTRALIA – 2+2 MINISTERIAL DIALOGUE
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar met Australian Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Richard Marles and Foreign Minister Penny Wong as part of the second India-Australia 2+2 Ministerial Dialogue.
ABOUT THE 2+2 DIALOGUE:
- The 2+2 meetings signify the participation of two high-level representatives, Ministers holding Foreign and Defence portfolios, from each of the two countries.
- India has held 2+2 meetings with ministers from US, Australia, Japan, the United Kingdom and Russia.
- The US is India’s oldest 2+2 talk’s partner.
HEALTH MINISTRY RELEASES DRAFT NATIONAL PHARMACY COMMISSION BILL
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has released the draft National Pharmacy Commission Bill, 2023.
- It seeks to repeal the Pharmacy Act of 1948 and replace the Pharmacy Council of India with a national commission.
- The proposed bill aims to provide for a pharmacy education system that improves access to quality and affordable pharmacy or pharmaceutical education, ensures availability of adequate and high-quality pharmacy professionals in all parts of the country.
- It promotes equitable and universal healthcare, and makes services of pharmacy professionals accessible to all citizens.
- The draft bill calls for a periodic and transparent assessment of pharmacy institutions, facilitating maintenance of a pharmacy register for India.
- It seeks to enforce high ethical standards in all aspects of pharmacy services.
- It also encourages pharmacy professionals to adopt latest pharmacy research in their work and to contribute to research.
- It proposes flexibility to adapt to changing needs and seeks to set up an effective grievance redressal mechanism.
ANNA UNIVERSITY- DEVELOPING DRONES FOR THE ARMY
- Anna University is developing drones capable of flying 50-kg payload for the Indian Army.
- It is expected to bring about a significant change in logistical operations, expedite the delivery of larger quantities of essential supplies such as arms and ammunition, life-saving medicines etc., to armed forces deployed in high-altitude and other risky terrains.
- The enhanced load-carrying capacity would substantially increase the volume of crucial supplies and comprehensively address the logistical demands.
- The Army is now relying more on traditional methods such as mule transportation or helicopter services for the delivery of supplies.
- The reduced dependence on traditional methods and the deployment of drones with higher payload capacity would streamline the supply chain process and mitigate potential delays.
Why is in news?
Watchtowers at Pallikaranai marshland to be reconstructed.
About Pallikaranai marshland:
- Pallikaranai marshland is freshwater marsh and partly saline wetland.
- It is situated about 20 kilometres south of the city of Chennai.
- It serves as an aquatic buffer of the flood-prone Chennai and Chengalpattu districts.
- The diverse ecosystem of the marshland supports approximately 115 bird species, ten mammals, 21 reptiles, ten amphibians, 46 fish, nine molluscs, five crustaceans, and seven butterfly species.
- The wetland also plays a vital role in the prevention of flooding for the city of Chennai, soaking up water during wet periods and releasing it during dry spells.
INDIRA GANDHI PEACE PRIZE
Why is in news?
- The Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development 2022 was jointly awarded to the Indian Medical Association and the Trained Nurses Association of India as representatives of the COVID-19 warriors in the country.
About Indira Gandhi Peace Prize:
- The Indira Gandhi Peace Prize is an annual prestigious award. It has been named after former Prime Minister Smt. Indira Gandhi.
- It has been conferred every year since 1986 by the Indira Gandhi Memorial Trust.
- It consists of a monetary award of 25 lakh along with a citation.