GREEN HYDROGEN STORAGE
Why is in news?
India to get 3 ports for green hydrogen storage by 2030.
About three key hydrogen storage:
- The Ministry of Ports, Shipping, and Waterways (MoPSW) plans to accelerate the National Green Hydrogen Mission.
- It is done by providing logistical support for building hydrogen storage bunkers at three Indian ports in east, north, and south India by 2030, which will be scaled up to 12 Indian ports in the near future.
- The three key hydrogen storage hubs identified are Paradip Port in the east, Deendayal Port in Kandla, and V. O. Chidambaranar Port, formerly Tuticorin Port in Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu.
NATIONAL GREEN HYDROGEN MISSION:
- Objective:Developing green hydrogen production capacity of at least 5 MMT (Million Metric Tonne) per annum, alongside adding renewable energy capacity of about 125 GW (gigawatt) in India by 2030.
- Aim:It aims to entail over Rs 8 lakh crore of total investments and is expected to generate six lakh jobs.
- Ministry:Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
‘PRACHAND’ LIGHT COMBAT CHOPPERS
Why is in news?
IAF is going to place orders for 156 more ‘Prachand’ Light Combat choppers for deployment along China, Pak border.
- It is the first indigenous Multi-Role Combat Helicopter designed and manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL).
- The multi-role attack helicopter has been customised as per the requirements of the Indian armed forces to operate both in desert terrains and high-altitude sectors.
- It is the only attack helicopter in the world that can land and take off at an altitude of 5,000 metres (16,400 ft), which makes it ideal to operate in the high altitude areas of the Siachen glacier.
- It is also capable of firing a range of air-to-ground and air-to-air missiles and can destroy air defence operations of the enemy.
STATE OF WORKING INDIA 2023
- The report is released by Azim Premji University.
- Aim: To provide the public with an evidence-based overview of the quality and quantity of employment in the Indian economy.
- Theme for 2023:‘Social Identities and Labour Market Outcomes’
- It discusses the progress made in removing caste, gender and religion-based disparities in employment and the challenges that remain.
Highlights of the report:
- Faster structural change: The share of workers with regular wage or salaried work started increasing, going from 18% to 25% for men and 10% to 25% for women.
- Upward mobility has increased: In 2004 over 80% of sons of casual wage workers were themselves in casual employment. For non-SC/ST castes, this fell from 83% to 53% by 2018 and incidence of better quality work such as regular salaried jobs increased. It fell for SC/ST castes as well, but to a lesser extent (86% to 76%).
- Caste-based segregation has reduced: In the early 1980s Scheduled Caste workers were more than 5 times over-represented in waste-related work and over 4 times in leather-related work. This has declined rapidly over time, though it is not completely eliminated as of 2021-22. In the leather industry, the representation index declined sharply to 1.4 in 2021. In waste management and sewerage, over-representation of SCs decreased to 1.6 times in 2011.
- Gender-based earnings disparities have reduced: women earned 76% of what men did.
- Unemployment is falling but remains high: Post-Covid the unemployment rate is lower than it was pre-Covid, for all education levels. But it remains above 15% for graduates and more worryingly it touches a huge 42% for graduates under 25 years.
- Lower caste entrepreneurs are still rare: SC and ST owners are under-represented compared to their share in the overall workforce. SC and ST owners are barely represented among firms employing more than 20 workers. Correspondingly, upper caste overrepresentation increases with firm size.
14 MINUTES MIRACLE
Why is in news?
Indian Railways took a leaf from Japan’s bullet trains, which are cleaned and made ready for another journey within seven minutes.
About 14 Minutes Miracle:
- The ’14-Minute Miracle cleaning’ involves cleaning the coaches of Vanda Bharat trains with discipline and precision.
- The fast-cleaning drill will cut down the turn-around time of the Vanda Bharat trains.
GRAM SABHA MEETING
- Gram Sabha meetings to begin with CM’s video message.
- The number of Gram Sabha meetings had been increased from four to six in Tamil Nadu.
- The theme of the Gram Sabha meetings for 2023 to be held in 12,525 village panchayats is ‘YellorukkumYellam” (Everything for Everyone).
Who are the members of Gram Sabha?
Persons who are above 18 years of age and living in the village and whose names are included in the electoral rolls for the Panchayat at the village level.
Scheduled meetings of the Gram Sabha in Tamil Nadu:
- Republic Day (26th January)
- Labour Day (1st May)
- Independence Day (15th August)
- Gandhi Jayanti (2nd October)
- World water day (22nd March)
- Local Governance day (1st November)
GANDHI JAYANTI 2023
- Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated on October 2nd every year.
- It marks the 154th birth anniversary of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
Theme of Gandhi Jayanti 2023:
“EkTareekhEkGhantaEkSaath” is the theme for 2 October Gandhi Jayanti, A national call to action for 1 Hour of citizen-led shramdaan for swachhata on 1st Oct, 2023 at 10 am.
What is Karman Line?
- The boundary between the Earth and space is scientifically called Karman Line.
- The Karman Line is located at an altitude of 100 kilometers above the Earth’s sea level.
- It was named after aerospace pioneer Theodore von Kármán.