FORCED RELOCATION OF PALESTINIANS
- Palestinians began a mass exodus from northern Gaza.
- Israel’s military told people to evacuate toward the southern part of the besieged territory.
- The United Nations warned that so many people fleeing en masse of almost half the Gaza population would be calamitous.
- The evacuation order sparked widespread panic among civilians and aid workers.
- Israel has cut off all food, water and supplies.
- It caused a territory-wide blackout.
UNITED NATIONS HUMAN RIGHTS COUNCIL
- The UN General Assembly elected 15 new countries to serve on the Human Rights Council.
- Russia has been defeated in its attempt to regain a seat in the UN’s top human rights body.
- The general assembly voted last year to suspend Moscow after its invasion of Ukraine.
- About the United Nations Human Rights Council
- The Human Rights Council is the UN’s premier rights body.
- It is tasked with the responsibility to uphold and advance fundamental freedoms globally.
- It was created in 2006.
- It consists of 47 member States, elected via secret ballot by the majority of General Assembly members.
- In order to ensure equitable geographical distribution, its seats are distributed among regional groups of States as follows
- Africa (13);
- Asia-Pacific (13);
- Eastern European (6);
- Latin American and Caribbean (8);
- Western European and others (7).
- The Japanese holiday of Hinamatsuri (which translates to ‘Dolls’ Day’ or ‘Girls’ Day’) was celebrated at the Indo-Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IJCCI).
- Fifteen Hina dolls were displayed as part of the event.
- Hinamatsuri is traditionally celebrated on March 3 every year.
- A ‘Kabuto warrior’ doll was also displayed as part of Tango no sekku (another holiday celebrated on May 5 in Japan).
BUREAU OF INDIAN STANDARDS ORGANISES EVENT TO CELEBRATE WORLD STANDARDS DAY
- The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) felicitated several persons and organisations from various fields for spreading awareness on safety standards.
- The event was organised to mark World Standards Day 2023.
World Standards Day (WSD)
- It is celebrated each year all over the world on 14 October.
- The theme for 2023 celebration is – “Shared Vision for a Better World – Standards for Sustainable Development Goals” (incorporating SDG3).
HINDUSTAN PHOTO FILMS MANUFACTURING COMPANY
- The liquidator appointed to settle the debts of Hindustan Photo Films Manufacturing Company Limited has disregarded a notice by the Tamil Nadu Forest Department.
- The liquidator had put up the assets of the company for an e-auction.
- They include 291 acres of land leased to the firm by the Forest Department in the 1960s to set up the company.
- The District Forest Officer (Nilgiris division) had issued the show-cause notice stating that the sale of the land on which the company had been set up was in violation of the Tamil Nadu Forest Act of 1882 and the Indian Forest Conservation Act of 1980.
- Conservationists and local residents have been pushing for the land to be returned to the Forest Department for conservation purposes.
- Leopards, gaur, sambar deer and tigers have been spotted around the factory premises since its closure.
- Hindustan Photo Films Manufacturing Company was inaugurated on January 7, 1967 by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
- After the decision of the Madras High Court in August 2016, the company was wound up and setup for liquidation.