NOBEL PRIZE FOR PEACE 2023
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee has awarded Iranian activist NargesMohammadi the 2023 Nobel Prize for Peace.
- It was awarded for her fight against the oppression of women in Iran and her fight to promote human rights and freedom for all.
Who is NargesMohammadi?
- NargesMohammadi was born in 1972 in Iran. Mohammadi is currently living in a detention facility under the charges of “spreading anti-state propaganda” and defamation.
- Mohammadi and her family have long been involved in political protests – beginning with the Iranian Revolution.
PASSENGER FERRY SERVICE BETWEEN NAGAPATTINAM AND KANKESANTHURAI
- The trail for passenger ferry service between Tamil Nadu’s Nagapattinam and Kankesanthurai in northern Sri Lanka is being planned.
- It was announced during the visit of Sri Lankan President RanilWickremesinghe to India in July 2023.
- The ferry service will nurture the cultural ties between the two countries.
- The service will revive the historical maritime ties between the two countries that existed till 1980.
The Shipping Corporation of India will supply a high-speed passenger ferry that can accommodate 150 passengers.
- The journey may take around two hours.
- RBI to introduce card-on-file tokenisation at bank level.
Governor Shaktikanta Das said this measure will enhance convenience for cardholders to get tokens created and linked to their existing accounts with various e-commerce applications.
What is tokenisation?
- Card-on-File Tokenisation (CoFT) or Tokenisation is a process used to replace card details by a unique token or code.
- This allows secure online purchases without exposing sensitive details like card number, card verification value (CVV), etc.
- Nandini Azad is the president of the Indian Co-operative Network for Women (ICNW) and the Working Women’s Forum (India).
- She has been re-elected to the International Raiffeisen Union (IRU) Board.
- On September 2018, she was the first woman to join the IRU Board.
About International Raiffeisen Union (IRU):
- IRU is a worldwide voluntary association of national co-operative organizations.
- Its work and ideas are based on three principles – i.e. self-help, self-responsibility and self-administration.
- It is headquartered in Bonn, Germany.
IMPROVED ACCESS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
- 17 railway stations in Chennai division is set to have improved access for persons with disabilities.
- Special inspections is conducted in ‘Divyang’ coaches (meant for persons with disabilities).
- Braille indicators and station maps, reflective strips, sign language videos and a portable wheelchair are among the features planned to make the stations more disabled friendly.
WARNING TO REMOVE CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE MATERIAL (CSAM)
- The Union government has asked social media sites to remove Child Sexual Abuse materials from their platforms.
- Minister of State for Electronics and Information Technology stated that if these social media platforms do not respond quickly, their protection under Section 79 of the IT Act.
- This section grants them “safe harbour” status this implies that they may face prosecution under current laws and regulations, even if they were not the ones who uploaded the objectionable content.
RBI MONETARY POLICY HIGHLIGHTS
- RBI Monetary Policy Committee has kept the key policy repo rate unchanged at 6.5%.
- Inflation for FY24 is projected at 5.4%.
Monetary Policy Committee:
- Section 45ZB of the amended RBI Act, 1934 provides for an empowered six-member monetary policy committee (MPC) to be constituted by the Central Government.
- The first MPC was constituted on September 29, 2016.
- It is responsible for fixing the benchmark interest rate in India.
- The meetings of the Monetary Policy Committee are held at least four times a year.
- The committee comprises six members – three officials of the Reserve Bank of India and three external members nominated by the government of India.
- The governor of the Reserve Bank of India is the chairperson ex officio of the committee.
- Decisions are taken by majority with the governor having the casting vote in case of a tie.